Award Acceptance

Agreements Types

There are several types of research-related agreements that researchers, faculty, and administrators may encounter. They vary by the goal and nature of the engagement, as well as the identity of the other party. Principal Investigators and research staff should check with their department/SPA office BEFORE signing any type of agreement, as the agreement may require review by the OGC, OTD, or other University office. This includes, but is not limited to collaboration, consulting or related service agreements (involving faculty...

Read more about Agreements Types

Notice of Award

Source: OSP Website

A notice of award, also referred to as a notice, sponsor notice, NOGA, NoA, contract, grant, agreement, or award letter, is a notification from a sponsor indicating that a proposal has been funded. Notices of award are typically received by OSP, although occasionally a Principal Investigator may be notified directly. If an award notice is received directly by...

Read more about Notice of Award

Award Receipt

Before accepting an award on behalf of the University, the Harvard Chan School SPA Office reviews all terms and conditions, regardless of the sponsor, and is responsible for negotiating appropriate remedies.  The business process below outlines the steps for notifying SPA that an award notice has been received from a sponsor and is ready for SPA review.


Business Process: Award Receipt

... Read more about Award Receipt

Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

What is an MOU?


A memorandum of understanding (MOU) is an agreement between two or more parties/institutions. MOUs are not legally binding, but serve to document each collaborator’s expectations or intentions.  The Office of Regulatory Affairs and Research Compliance is responsible for reviewing, negotiating and approving the draft MOU before final approval by the Dean.

To learn more about MOUs or if you would like to obtain a Harvard Chan School MOU...

Read more about Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)